Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Little Sad

Yesterday, I had someone contact me by e-mail. It seems he thinks I have infringed on his copyright of a particular design. He asked (demanded, "threatened nicely" in my opinion) that I remove this design from my Etsy shop and my website.

It makes me a little sad because I have never met this person in real life. It made me realize that I have only ever met one of my clients/customers in real life. People who know me in real life, know immediately that I am an honest, concientious, sincere, and kind person. I know that sounds like I'm really full of myself, but these are qualities I feel I have been blessed with that make me who I am.

The lovely thing is that many of my clients see this immediately upon working with me. As I've mentioned before, I have the absolute joy of making new friends as we work together to design logos for their businesses.

The thing that made this situation hard for me was that this person doesn't know me. They just see what's "on paper"... and were very quick to point the finger. But what else do you do? As an artist myself, I understand that it would be hard to see work out there that looked like your own. In fact, this HAS happened to me & I ended up giving the other person the benefit of the doubt. Call me too trusting, but that's the decision I made. In truth, I'd hoped I'd receive the same courtesy as some sort of karma effect.

I am a little sad. I'm a little apprehensive, too. Obviously, I'm a little angry, too. I can't imagine being asked to cease selling my own artwork because it is similar. I'm certainly not implying this, but I worry that this person thinks he can intimidate me because he's a "bigger name" than me and has been around longer. Let me assure you I have worked very hard to get where I am. That, of course, is another story for another day. One of my favorite parts about owning my own business is that I am the one that calls the shots. Control freak? Ha! Maybe.

I am taking the appropriate measures which I won't bore you with, but I would appreciate you crossing your fingers for me that this turns out well.

3 comments:

susie said...

Stupid Jerk! Give me his email, I have a few choice words for him. I'm serious, too.

craftymug said...

I'm glad to see that you are hanging in there and fighting for what is yours.

Amy Wing said...

Wow... artist nightmare!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin