Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Cream Cheese Banana Bread from Southern Living

 Today I have way too many VERY ripe bananas, so I will be making one of my favorites ever--Cream Cheese Banana Bread.  The recipe was originally in Southern Living.  I would direct you right to the recipe, but that part of the site seems to be down at the moment.  You could try later. 

It's so delicious and moist!!  You have to try it if you have some extra bananas laying around.  I've even been known to go out and buy ridiculously ripe bananas just so I can make this delicious treat!  A few of my own notes--I leave the butter, cream cheese, & eggs out until they're room temperature.  Shielding the bread with foil at the end is a must.  (See recipe below.)  I've also left out the pecans--still yummy.  I substituted some of the flour with whole wheat flour--still yummy.  I tried low fat cream cheese... not as yummy.  Just my opinion!!  In fact, there's a "healthier version" recipe here on RecipeZaar.  (It's actually where I got the photo--Thank you!)

Cream Cheese-Banana-Nut Bread 
Prep: 15 min., Bake: 1 hr., Cool: 40 min.  Warm bread is yuummy, but to get perfect slices, let bread cool 30 minutes, and cut with a serrated or electric knife.

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (1 1/4 pounds unpeeled bananas, about 4 medium)
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.

Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.  Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.  Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8- x 4-inch loafpans.

Bake at 350o for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and sides pull away from pan, shielding with aluminum foil last 15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary.  Cool bread in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.  Remove fro mpans, and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.

MUFFINS: To bake muffins, spoon batter evenly into 24 paper-line muffin cups.  Bake at 350o for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool in pans 10 minutes.  remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.  Makes 24 muffins.  Prep: 15 min., Bake: 25 min.

2 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

sounds delicious! I ususally put at least some whole wheat PASTRY flour in cookies, bread, pancake mix, etc. It gives the baked item a richer flavor. Pstry flour is softer than whole wheat which has more gluten.

emmarie Designs said...

YUM! I bet this is delicious!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin