Friday, May 15, 2009

SuperMom of Summer: Modernality

Meet Tara, owner of Modernality, a shop on Etsy that offers unique home decor. Go! Take a look at the shop! You'll be in love! Never have I seen such beauty and talent in felt. And trust me, I've tried my hand at felt. Yikes. Double yikes. I believe I'll leave that up to the professionals from now on.
But felt is not all you'll find at Modernality. Tara offers pillow covers of all fabrics and styles. From Geek Chick to Modern, you're sure to find the perfect fit for your home or gift for a loved one. Modernality also offers wall hangings, placemats, and pin cushions in absolutely fabulous colors. As a graphic designer, I'd like to think I have an eye for color combinations. I LOVE what Tara puts together.
Before motherhood, Tara was a director at a gymnastics facility (she still substitute teaches occasionally). She also has a degree in Psychology. She says, "So if anyone gets too stressed about their business and needs to talk, my door is always open!!" Hilarious! I think she may be on to something. ;) Tara says, "I never in a million years imagined I would say as a kid, 'I want to be a pillow designer and gymnastics teacher when I grow up...' My mother would have fallen out of her chair. I always wanted to be a physical therapist or a rock star, of course." But her mom, who is also an artist, is thrilled with what she does and will soon be designing some pillows for Tara to make!
Now, Tara runs Modernality as she stays home with her sweet nine month old son. She has the support of a wonderful husband. She, like many crafters out there has "a room full of weird stuff that I will never use or sell" But she says it wsa great practice! She "workred really hard at honing my skills as a pillow maker and [is] a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sewing." And can't you tell by looking at these beautiful masterpieces?

Tara says she gets most of her work done during his nap time & deals with all the things so many of us moms do--Do I work? Do I EAT LUNCH?! "Being a mom is hard--probably the toughest thing I've ever done...But at the end of the day, when I watch my son sleeping, the joy I feel is overwhelming."
In the future, Tara will continue to bring her many pillow ideas to life. She wants to open a second shop eventually, too, that will be Newspaper themed. Doesnt' that sound fun?

3 comments:

inkOBSESSIONdesigns said...

I left a little something for you on my blog this morning! Happy Friday! :)

Modernality said...

Thank you so much for the feature! You made my day :)

StunningAnnaK said...

This shop is such a great find!

Off to browse!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin