Sunday, July 5, 2009

By Popular Demand: Grammar & Spelling Lesson #3

I had really hoped to make these lessons a regular thing, but they've been put on the back burner! So sorry! It's been since last December, so a little catch-up: I've noticed in the handmade community there are a lot of grammatical errors, so I'm trying to have little lessons to remind us all what I'm sure we learned in grade school.

(You can see my other lessons by scrolling down to the "Labels" on my right-hand column and finding 'grammar'.)

Today's lesson is very simple: there is a difference between your & you're.

Your shows ownership. Your bag. Your box. Your child.

You're is a contraction short for 'you are'. You're going to the store. You're going to pick me up after school. You're gorgeous! You're invited! (I see this one incorrect very, very frequently!)

Think of it this way--Would the sentence still sound correct if I said, "you are"? If yes, then you use you're.

5 comments:

Avlor said...

Thank you for sharing the spelling and grammar tidbits! As stationery makers - it's absolutely crucial to have good spelling and grammar!

Idea for you for an upcoming lesson: stationery vs. stationary

JuliaA said...

it seems that grammatical errors are so common that people get these things confused. i could see how it might be easy to overlook some basic rules of grammar when they're so frequently misused on the internet.

so i'm really glad to see someone paying attention to these details and being instructional in a friendly way.

also, see "it's" vs. "its". they're, their, there. way too many things to list.

as for spelling, there are so many common mistakes that i wouldn't even know where to start.

Audrey said...

Don't you just hate the English Language? Why do they have to make the spelling so hard?
I have a few lesson ideas for you:
present vs present vs present

"Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present .."

Splendid Little Stars said...

ooo...I'm a grammar nut, too.

inkOBSESSIONdesigns said...

I love, love, love when you do grammar lessons! :)

BTW, the vacuum only does hardwood. :( In fact it specifically says "Do not use on carpet."

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin