Thursday, April 29, 2010

I see mice in your future...

Seriously, if I had eaten the Chinese food I'd been craving, I'm 100% sure my fortune cookie fortune would have read:
Mice will be in your future.

Let me explain...
As you may have read, we just purchased our first home! YAY! It was a foreclosure and had been empty for most likely more than a year. We cleaned, cleaned, cleaned the day after we bought it. And let me tell you, I'm not usually a screamer, but I screamed a little when I opened the range drawer and saw a dead mouse.

Eeeeewww! Still, I understood it--An empty house, even in the middle of the city... I get it. But gross! So here I am making plans to stretch our money so we can buy a new stove. I was just so grossed out at the thought of cooking there even after cleaning like a mad woman.

And then...
We went to get our mattress which had been stored in my parents' basement. Pulled it away from the wall to see mouse droppings everywhere. Bad enough? No. A tiny little hole in my mattress.

I literally started jumping up and down saying, "Ew! Ew! Ew!" like a little girl. Yes, I usually think I'm pretty tough, but I couldn't help myself.

What on earth do we do?! What if the mouse is IN our mattress?! Ack! HELP! How do I know if they got in the mattress? I know they're so full of diseases that we'd need a new bed. But how do I know? Somehow, I don't think that's a risk I want to take... but gosh, beds are expensive! :(
I think it will be awhile before I can sleep.
But seriously, if you have suggestions, let me hear them!!!

7 comments:

susie said...

Joan, that's disgusting! I would squeal and be totally disgusted too! Yuck! I think I'm going to dream about mice now because imagining it is all so gross.

I have no advice!

Beth said...

Um, I won't be helpful at all in this situation because if it were me, I would burn that mattress so fast the mouse wouldn't know what was going on...I'm cruel but eek that gives me chills. Even a tough girl like you deserves a scream or two where mice are concerned, it's not that they are just creepy they are gross too. Okay, I'm probably making this worse. But that's my advice, burn the mattress in the mouse infested oven.

Ashley said...

um, new mattress? if there's droppings, there is also urine. I know you say you have cats, but I would still go buy a bunch of traps... just in case.

Joan said...

Joshua & my brother are picking up a new mattress as we speak. :) My brother is also taking the old one to burn it since he lives in the middle of nowhere & can do things like that. ;)
Yup... after reading all about the horrible diseases mice carry, I didn't even want to chance it.

StunningAnnaK said...

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Cats Traps and Peanut Butter...

Angie said...

Yes, rodents can spread disease. Although, rodents are everywhere. In the cities as well as the country. You will always find small amounts of the contagions that they can carry in the world. I would also have replaced the mattress because there is no way to get it clean. However, something like a stove/oven that is made of non-porous material can easily be completely decontaminated.

Hope that helps! :)

Bekah: said...

Oh bless your heart. How terrible. Glad to hear you got a new mattress. That makes my skin crawl just thinking of it. Hope things are better now, no more rodent issues!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin