Friday, May 28, 2010

And sometimes we're blessed to serve...

As a mom, there are many, many things I want to teach my children. It seems that each day I see multiple examples of people being selfish, choosing to make decisions that benefit only themselves, neglecting those around them.

So, naturally, one of the things I want my children to learn is to serve others--to open their eyes and see ways to serve. But add another stipulation to that: to recognize when an opportunity to serve is being presented to you.

Today, we had to run to the store to get a few things. We weren't in a huge hurry, so we admired the flowers outside & as we were walking in, a woman was on a bench with her dog. She stopped us to ask if we were going in the store. Honestly, I get a little weird when a stranger stops to talk to me--especially when my children are with me. But she had a kind face and I'd like to think I'm a good judge of character.

She simply needed some crackers, but couldn't go in the store because she had her dog with her. She handed us a few dollars, we went in, checked out, and got the crackers to her. She was very, very grateful.

And we felt so good for not saying, "Oh, we're too busy" or "It's just too much of a hassle with my children with me". Not to mention, it allowed me to have a wonderful discussion with Bitsy #1 about service. We can look for ways to do things for others that they cannot do for themselves.

Isn't it wonderful when we can take time to stop thinking about ways WE need to be blessed and actually bless the life of someone else?

2 comments:

Barbra said...

Isn't it awful how leery/cautious/afraid we've become? But you did good!!!!

Melanie said...

What a wonderful opportunity to share the gift of service with your little ones! Love those kinds of moments!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin