Thursday, July 8, 2010

A love-hate relationship

Photo can be found at

I never thought I'd have a love-hate relationship with electricity, but lately I've noticed I do. I guess it started last week. Our power went out a few times during the night. Just flickered on & off, but it was enough to have to reset all the clocks, the baby monitor, etc. Then we noticed electric company trucks all over our neighborhood the whole week.

Followed by the air conditioner breaking, the microwave taking out the entire kitchen's power whenever we used it, and one of our heaters being stuck on the on position...

Then yesterday, we got a notice on our door that the power company would be turning off our power between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. Yes, that's right. In the middle of a heat wave. Sure it's at night, but it still only gets down to 75 degrees. Our neighborhood is full of elderly couples and lots of small children. I'm worried that many will get heat-related problems.

And while that makes me so grateful for what I do have in electricity, sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I didn't have to bother with it, either. I mean, I do already fall asleep when the sun goes down & wake up with the boy at 4 or 5 a.m.! What difference would it make to not have lights after dark!? ;)

Yes, my favorite things all use electricity. I'm addicted to my computer. I love my t.v. And I sure love not sitting out in the 105+ degree weather this week.

1 comment:

Barbra said...

You are so right. Electricity can be the devil...especially when the bill comes after all this heat!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin